This apartment is located in a sophisticated residential high-rise designed in 1912 by Chicago architect Benjamin Marshall. Each floor originally held a fifteen room, 9,000 sf apartment but the building was subdivided into smaller units during the Great Depression. This renovation reclaims a half floor for a new residence.
The project removed a dated 1990’s renovation and worked around immovable base building mechanical systems. The design goal was to create an apartment with a functional yet elegant plan that fit with Marshall’s highly tailored exterior and lobby. The living room and dining room overlook Chicago’s Lincoln Park and have a direct connection to the kitchen.
Custom bookshelves integrate with a new cornice and base board ensemble that is constant through the apartment. The dining room, glazed on two sides with new mahogany triple hung sash, occupy the original unit’s orangerie.
The kitchen opens to the living room, sharing views of the park and Lake Michigan beyond. A necessary mechanical riser was maintained in the island and is clad with a custom installation by artist Antonia Contro.
The den, featuring custom white oak millwork, doubles as a guest room. The master bath utilizes honed Blue Danube marble.
General Contractor: T&T Construction Co., Inc.
Interior Design: CASTE Design
Mechanical Engineer: Building Engineering Systems, Inc.
Photographer: Eric Hausman